I’ve been feeling pretty nostalgic lately I think it’s because I’m in my last month of being a teenager so today I will be listing ten animated series I enjoyed as a child (I still watch these shows.)
I will be excluding The Simpsons from this list, although I grew up watching the show this list will focus on cartoons targeted towards children.
6teen is a Canadian tv show from the creators of Total drama island and stoked two pretty cool shows I also enjoyed watching.
9. The grim adventures of Billy and Mandy- (Grim and evil) The grim reaper loses a bet and has to become friend’s with Billy a small minded boy and Mandy a cynical sarcastic girl.
8. Dave the Barbarian- Set in the Middle ages, while the parents are fighting evil Dave and his sisters are in charge of the town though Dave would rather be cooking.
7. Lloyd In Space- From the creators of Recess This show follows Lloyd, your everyday alien teenager who lives life on a space station.
6. Recess- The series shows 6 friends and their school life mainly focusing on recess where a small society is formed.
What I liked about this show is that the characters changed their outfits and hair every episode, that’s pretty rare in animated shows.
3. Dexter’s Laboratory- Boy genius Dexter has a secret laboratory in his room that his parents aren’t aware of, the only person that knows is his annoying older sister Dee Dee.
2. Powerpuff girls- While creating the perfect girls professor utoniom accidentally pushes chemical X into the formula- thus creating the powerpuff girls, 3 girls who possess powers they use to fight evil.
I was so obsessed with this show growing up, there were a few games I used to play with my sister and my neighbour and this would be one of them I’d usually be bubbles.
In 2001 my family and I went to America and I faintly remember going into a store that had a bunch of powerpuff things so my parents bought a lunchbox, light up slippers, a raincoat and a plush for me and my sister I think we both had buttercup I don’t remember.
1. Spongebob Squarepants- Spongebob Squarepants lives with his pet snail Gary in a pineapple under the sea in the town of bikini bottom, next to best friend Patrick Star and work colleague Squidward Tentacles who finds Spongebob irritating, he works as a fry cook at the Krusty Krab owned by the money-hungry Mr Krabs, on his days off Spongebob and Patrick often find themselves in trouble much to Squidward’s annoyance.
I don’t even remember when I first watched this show it’s one of those shows I’ve just always loved, when I was 6 years old my mum went to America to visit a friend and brought back a spongebob squarepants cookie jar that ran on batteries, everytime you lifted his hat up it would speak it belongs to my cousin now, also when I was 7 years old for Christmas my mum bought me a spongebob plush which I still have to this day.
I always say that my life is a mix between How I met your mother and Spongebob Squarepants and often find myself saying “This reminds me of that one episode of Spongebob where.”
I don’t think cartoons are only for kids, but I think kids will love anything as long as it’s visually interesting. -John Kricfalusi